Sunday, April 21, 2013

Though you slay me...

Recently, I ordered a new album from Shane & Shane, a favorite Christian duo of mine. The album, "Bring Your Nothing" is chock full of powerful lyrics, often quoted directly from Scripture. Some draw us into joyful contemplation of all that will be made right one day when we inhabit our New Jerusalem, and others bring to mind the magnificent exchange of Christ for our sin.

One song I have been singing over and over the past week is "Though you slay me," a beautiful description of the believer's comfort when he/she is submissive to God's will, even if that includes trials and suffering. My suffering in this life has really been quite limited, and I know many people even now who are facing far greater hardships than I have ever encountered. That being said, we all know what it's like to deal with simply the inner struggles of doubt, disappointed hopes, painful relationships, injustices, and so much more.

I recently heard a conference breakout session by Elyse Fitzpatrick, in which she talked about the loneliness that seems to envelop us, particularly women. Despite leading busier lives than ever before, filled with relationships and responsibilities, bring up the word "loneliness" and most women find that it resonates with some type of inner discomfort they've experienced.

Whatever our hardships are - broken relationships, fearful and anxious thoughts plaguing our sleepless nights, long unanswered prayers, or overlooked apologies - we are still meant to turn in rejoicing to the One who took our place, being slain on our behalf. When we focus on what seems to be taken away from us, we must consider the One who had everything taken from Him - even fellowship with His Heavenly Father - all so we could be rescued! When we reflect on this, it is then that we can praise Him. It is in these meditations that we can bless His name and worship Him most purely.

Here are a few lines from the song:

Though You slay me, yet I will praise You
Though You take from me, I will bless Your name
Though You ruin me, still I will worship
Sing a song to the One who's all I need

No comments:

Post a Comment