Thursday, June 21, 2012

Patience is a virtue, right?

My patience has been wearing on me while I wait upon an answer as to whether or not I will be moving in the near future, for a specific job that I have truly set my heart on. It's my dream job - using my education, ministry experience and spiritual gifts, all while making a living doing it! Considering that I would have to move in just about three weeks overwhelms me when I also consider that I have no idea if I am doing that or not! Well, as I have been waiting, a couple of dear friends have been quick to lovingly correct me when my attitude becomes irritable (which it has!) and express a lack of faith, as if I am assuming God won't give me what I desire, which is this job. Sometimes I think when we believe so firmly in God's sovereignty, it does become tempting to not pray as fervently about our desires because we rest too loosely in thinking things like, "Well, God's going to do what He wants anyway so what's the point?" This is foolishness, and yet I find myself living there at times! Recently, I read this story about a time in Francis Schaeffer's life when he was faced with an almost immediate and sudden death. While my situation really has nothing in common with that - I am not going to die if I don't get this job! - there are elements of his account that brought great encouragement to my soul this morning. I really hope you'll take the time to read this. I was impacted by how he remained steadfast, with no panic or distress - He was confident that the Lord would act on His behalf, and I am sure equally confident that if the Lord didn't act in the manner he was asking Him to, then it would be for his ultimate best. It would serve for maximum usefulness! http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justintaylor/2012/06/20/the-day-francis-schaeffers-plane-almost-crashed-in-the-middle-of-the-atlantic-ocean/

No comments:

Post a Comment